This article outlines how to migrate your projects and settings from FinalBuilder Server 6 to Server 7. We've created a FinalBuilder project to do most of the work (download it here), but there are some manual steps:

• install Server 7
  • log in to Server 7 as admin/admin
  • install your Server 7 licence keys
  • stop all of the Server 7 services using the FinalBuilder Server Configuration tool
  • open MigrateToFBS7.fbz7 and run it
    • the project takes a best guess at the defaults to use, but it will prompt you for information as needed
    • please read the prompts and enter the correct information
  • Open FinalBuilder 7 and convert the FinalBuilder 6 projects to FinalBuilder 7 projects, using File\Batch Project Upgrade...
  • start the Server 7 services using the Configuration tool
The migration project reminds you of the manual steps you need to perform along the way.

Please let us know if you come across any problems with the migration process.

Post Rating

Comments

Jamie Clayton
Saturday, September 11, 2010 11:59 PM
Is it possible to transfer the Nunit test results from the old FB6 server to the new FB7 server, so the metric graphs can continue on?
#
Sunday, September 12, 2010 4:42 PM
Hi Jamie,
Have you migrated to FBServer 7 and have noticed that the unit test history is missing, or are you just wondering if it will work?

I haven't checked, but I believe that the test results are stored in one of the XML files that are moved across by the migration script. If you've migrated and the results are missing, let me know and I'll investigate further.

Cheers,

Ben
#
Friday, October 01, 2010 2:38 AM
Hi Ben,

I tried to use the migration, but it did not work:

I run MigrateToFBS7.fbz7 which completed without error.
Now the first Problem:
What exactly do you mean with "convert the FinalBuilder 6 projects to FinalBuilder 7 projects, using File\Batch Project Upgrade..."?

I did not find any "File\Batch Project Upgrade".
Instead I converted my projects manually by opening and saving them in FinalBuilder7, then copied them to "C:\ProgramData\VSoft\FBServer7\ProjectFiles".

After that I restartet the services and the web:
=> Not a single project was transferred to the FBServer7.

What did I miss?

Malte
#
Monday, October 04, 2010 3:59 PM
Hi Malte,
In FinalBuilder 7, you can go to the File menu then choose Batch Project Upgrade, add a set of files or folders and upgrade them.

When you converted the projects manually, did you keep the file type the same (fbp6 to fbp7, fbz6 to fbz7)? The conversion script assumes that is the case, and updates the config XML documents accordingly.

Cheers,

Ben

#
Tuesday, October 05, 2010 5:57 AM
Hi Ben,

thank's for your hint: I repeated the procedure and used the "Batch Project Update" of FinalBuilder7.
It worked: The Projects show up in FBServer7.
The build history and the logs are missing, but that is not a big problem for me.

Malte
MDodds
# MDodds
Tuesday, November 22, 2011 8:21 AM
Is conversion strictly necessary? Our project build scripts are stored in SVN with the source. We use a single bootstrap script to setup variables and load/execute the script from the various projects.

Presumably we can still include a .fbp6 project file and it'll run in FB 7?
vincent
# vincent
Tuesday, November 22, 2011 3:32 PM
The upgrade process for FinalBuilder Server 7 is required. If you are just using FinalBuilder then FB7 can run FB6 project files just fine, however it cannot save them in FB6 format.

Only registered users may post comments.