FinalBuilder 7 on IIS 10

I need to move a finalbuilder system from an old version of windows to windows server 2016.

We only have FB7 and FB7 Server.

I can’t get FB7 Server to install. It says it can’t connect to the iis version.

I read a post about installing the WMI interface in IIS and did that and rebooted.

Still no joy.

Can I install FB7 on Windows Server 2016 IIS 10? I don’t want to go through the hassle upgrading to and learning the new FB8 or Continua CI.

I just need to move from the old server to the new one.

FinalBuilder Server was discontinued in May 2013, long before Windows Server 2016 or IIS 10, the FBServer installer has not (and will not) be updated for it.

Your best bet would be to copy the files over manually to the new server, and manually install the services - this is the part of the installer script that installs the services

Filename: {app}\FBLoggingServer.exe; Parameters: /Install /Silent; WorkingDir: {app}; Components: Build; StatusMsg: Installing Logging Service...; Check: not IsInstalled
Filename: {app}\FinalBuilderServer.Build.Service.exe; Parameters: -install; WorkingDir: {app}; Flags: runhidden; Components: Build; StatusMsg: Installing Build Service...; Check: not IsInstalled
Filename: {app}\FinalBuilderServer.Management.Service.exe; Parameters: -install; WorkingDir: {app}; Flags: runhidden; Components: Management; StatusMsg: Installing Management Service...; Check: not IsInstalled

Filename: {sys}\net; Parameters: "start ""FinalBuilder Server 7 Logging Service"""; WorkingDir: {app}; Flags: runhidden; Components: Build; StatusMsg: Starting Logging Service...
Filename: {sys}\net; Parameters: "start ""FinalBuilder Server 7 Management Service"""; WorkingDir: {app}; Flags: runhidden; Components: Management; StatusMsg: Starting Management Service...
Filename: {sys}\net; Parameters: "start ""FinalBuilder Server 7 Build Service"""; WorkingDir: {app}; Flags: runhidden; Components: Build; StatusMsg: Starting Build Service...

Filename: {app}\FinalBuilderServer.Configuration.exe; Parameters: -install; WorkingDir: {app}; StatusMsg: Installing Configuration Utility; Flags: runhidden; Check: not IsInstalled; Components: Build
Filename: {app}\FinalBuilderServer.Configuration.exe; Parameters: -deploy; WorkingDir: {app}; Description: Run the FinalBuilder Server Configuration; Components: Build

You will need to copy C:\ProgramData\VSoft\FBServer7 (this has the settings etc) to the same location on the new server before starting the services.

Then you will need to configure IIS to point to the FBServer7 and set it to use .NET 2.0 (you will need to install .net framework 3.5).

I’m afraid that other than the above advice, you are on your own with this as we cannot offer support for a long discontinued product.

As for learning FB8, there isn’t much to learn if you already use FB7. Continua CI does have a learning curve, that can’t be helped.

I knew it was a long shot so I am thankful that you have given me a way that hopefully will work.

I will give this a try and let you know.

Should I uninstall before doing the manual install?

Yes, I’m not sure what state the installer would have left it in, so probably best to uninstall first.

Sadly none of that has worked, so we are going to explore Jenkins and other systems.

Thank you for trying to help.

If you are exploring Jenkins then you should also explore Continua CI - I think you find it a lot more user friendly, and it has much better integration with FinalBuilder (it works with FB7 and FB8) :wink:

It’s also worth reading through our blogs, this one in particular explains how to get the most out of FinalBuilder and Continua CI when working together

https://www.finalbuilder.com/resources/blogs/continuous-integration-with-finalbuilder