Visual Studio 2017

Hi, I am trying to upgrade our build machine (which is currently stuck on C# 5). We are using FB 7.0.0.1795. I have installed Visual Studio Build Tools on the machine but I am struggling to get FB to 'point' to the newest version of MSBuild. When I trigger a build, according to the log file generated, FB calls MSBuild at this location: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\MSBuild.exe but the newest version of MSBuild is here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Enterprise\MSBuild\15.0\Bin. The build action is set to "Use MSBuild".

I have tried to fiddle with dotnetconfig.xml to match up the reg keys, but to no avail. Whenever I trigger a build, it will complain about C# 6 syntax being used. I am not sure if I am missing something? I'm not sure if a FB upgrade will be required?

If anyone has encountered something like this and has some steps/tips to follow. Would really appreciated.

You will need to update to FB8, the version of FB you are using pre-dates VS2017 buy a few years. It’s impossible to make FB just work with new unreleased versions of VS/MSBuild etc, we usually have to make some changes.

Posted By Vincent Parrett on 08 Jun 2018 06:26 AM
You will need to update to FB8, the version of FB you are using pre-dates VS2017 buy a few years. It's impossible to make FB just work with new unreleased versions of VS/MSBuild etc, we usually have to make some changes.

Ahh I had a feeling we would need to upgrade to 8. We'll also need to move over to Continua since we still have FB Server 7 which I believe is not compatible with 8.

Thanks a lot for the feedback :)