View Configuration (Repo, Variables, Stages, Triggers, etc.)

Hi,

I’m somewhat confused on what the permission ‘View Configuration’ does. What we’re looking for:

We have several departments within our company sharing the same Continua server/resources and I encourage people to share their work/configuration/projects. So we need a way to allow other teams to view other configurations (what I mean here: View configuration settings, stages, steps performed in stages, agent requirements, all settings available in Edit Configuration) but we do not want them to be able to make any changes. So far the only way to allow others to view configurations is by allowing Edit Configuration.

It’s not clear to me what View Configuration does. Combined with View Build and View Project it allows people to see other builds and which builds have run e.g. history but none of these combinations seem to allow looking into the stages (or other settings). When I set “View Configuration” for a certain Role/Group, all they seem to be able to is to view the configuration and review the builds that have run, but that’s all.

How can we share our work without the worry of people modifying it? Normally it wouldn’t be such a problem, but since Continua does not expose its configuration versioning to the end-user yet, global configuration edit rights would be too risky.

Kind regards,Remko Seelig

Hi Remko,

Your description of the View Configuration permission is correct  - it only provides access to the configuration view and list of builds, not the configuration settings. We don’t currently have a read only view of the configuration settings. This has been requested before and is on our to-do list as an important feature.