TFS actions in FinalBuilder 8 not working

I have one machine that work fine and one that give this error.
it can’t fine workitem.tracking. client ver 4.0.0.0. I have Visual studio 2013, 2015 and 2017 installed on both boxes.

also it looks like there is and older version of that dll in 4.0 folder under the finalbuilder 8 install path.

more info.
the machine that it does not work on has finalbuilder 8 installed after visual studio 17.
the config file has these values.

publicKeyToken=“b03f5f7f11d50a3a”
culture=“neutral” />

newVersion=“14.0.0.0”/>

culture=“neutral” />

newVersion=“14.0.0.0”/>

culture=“neutral” />

newVersion=“14.0.0.0”/>

culture=“neutral” />

newVersion=“14.0.0.0”/>

the machine that it works on has finalbuilder 8 installed after visual studio 15 and before 17.
the config on this machine has newVersion=“12.0.0.0”

I suspect this is an issue with the FinalBuilder8.exe.config file. The file is changed during install depending on which TFS xaml components are installed.

In the FinalBuilder 8 install folder, you will find :

FinalBuilder.exe.2008.config
FinalBuilder.exe.2010.config
FinalBuilder.exe.2012.config
FinalBuilder.exe.2013.config
FinalBuilder.exe.2015.config

Copy the FinalBuilder.exe.2013.config over the FinalBuilder8.exe.config file, that should solve the problem. The issue is that the TFS Assemblies are no longer GAC installed with VS2017 so FinalBuilder needs to use the assemblies from an earlier version.

It’s likely that we will solve this in the future by writing a new set of actions that use the rest api in the newer versions of TFS rather than use their client assemblies, or will ship the assemblies with FinalBuilder (or perhaps both).

I fixed this by doing GACUtil on all the DLLs in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\TeamFoundation\Team Explorer directory.

now the issue is I can’t get it to auth to VSTS on our build server, both XAML and new agent.
[Team Foundation Query Work Items ( https://pbc-test.visualstudio.com/ )]
Querying for work items…
Connecting to server ‘https://pbc-test.visualstudio.com/’ using current credentials…
Authenticating…
Authentication failed : TF30063: You are not authorized to access pbc-test.visualstudio.com\pbc-test.

It works when I run the project local. I have used TFX-Cli to cache the PAT on both my local workstation and on the build server.

I have the action to use the cred in the options and that set to use current logged on user.

Does that work?

Our actions currently use the old client api’s in order to be compatible back to TFS2005. I guess it’s time to cut support for the older versions. What we will do is create new actions for TFS2015+ that use the new client api’s, which use rest under the hood and support PAT. This will take some time to get done (along with all the other tasks we currently have).

Hi Vincent,

Any news on a fix for this in FinalBuilder 8?

Our build machine is Windows 10 with only Visual Studio 2017 Pro installed. We’re currently unable to use the Team Foundation Query Work Items action.

Regards,
Heath

We are currently working on new actions that use the VSTS rest api. The query work items action is done but we are still working on the other ones.

Posted By Vincent Parrett on 12 Mar 2018 01:55 PM
We are currently working on new actions that use the VSTS rest api. The query work items action is done but we are still working on the other ones.

I'll be happy to test the new functionality in a pre-release build. ;-)

I’ll try and speed up the work on it. What version of TFS are you using (or is it VSTS)?

We’re using on-prem TFS 2018 Update 1.

Regards,
Heath

Thanks, I’ll make sure to test with that version once we’re done, currently developing against on prem TFS 2017, which will be the min version the new actions support.

Thanks, I'll make sure to test with that version once we're done, currently developing against on prem TFS 2017, which will be the min version the new actions support.

Hi Vincent,

Any change you can release just the TFS Query for 2017/2018 on-prem? I don't want to reinvent the wheel, but I'll wait a little longer if you have a timeframe in mind.

Regards,
Heath

Apologies for the delay, I’ve been juggling way too many tasks and haven’t done any work on them for a while. I had a look back through the commit history and it looks like the query and create workitems actions are done, and I was in the middle of working on the copy workitem action. I’ll take a look at them in the morning and try them against tfs2018 and vso, maybe I can get them into a build in the next few days.

Posted By Vincent Parrett on 07 Jun 2018 05:52 AM
Apologies for the delay, I've been juggling way too many tasks and haven't done any work on them for a while. I had a look back through the commit history and it looks like the query and create workitems actions are done, and I was in the middle of working on the copy workitem action. I'll take a look at them in the morning and try them against tfs2018 and vso, maybe I can get them into a build in the next few days.

As I mentioned previously, I'm happy to BETA test the functionality. We're planning to upgrade to TFS 2018 Update 2 on-prem, but I doubt anything will have changed to break what you're doing.

Regards,
Heath

Hi Garth/Heath

I have posted a new topic with a download link that includes these new VSTS actions.