Send keyboard input - sending multiple keys

I am trying to send keyboard input onto a webpage and everytime I get duplicate keys.

For example I want to send a user name for a login text box:  JoeSmith

I have Automise successfully opening the webpage, then waiting for the application, then clicking on the correct textbox, but when the text is sent it is random what keys are duplicated.  I might get JJJooeSSSSSSmmithhhhhh one time and the next get JJooooooooeeeeeeSSmiiiiiiitttttth the next.

I did try changing my key repeat in Windows to the slowest setting and this didn't help.  I also tried using sending a single key, ie just the J.  I almost always get multiple JJJJJJ in the text even with this.  I am thinking there must be a way to fix this.  A coworker installed on his PC and we tried with the same results thinking it was maybe something only happening on my PC.

Thanks for any help!

Jay

…bump… anyone?

Can anyone confirm they are using the send keyboard input functionality?

Thanks!

Hi Jay,

Sorry - we haven’t been able to reproduce this here and don’t know why it might be happening. We’re still looking into it though.

Thanks Tate!

Something I just thought of is that at work they do have websense running, maybe this would cause a problem? If you need any further system info just let me know, but here’s a start:

OS NameMicrosoft Windows XP Professional
Version5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS ManufacturerMicrosoft Corporation
System Name—
System ManufacturerDell Inc.
System ModelOptiPlex 745
System TypeX86-based PC
Processorx86 Family 15 Model 6 Stepping 5 GenuineIntel ~3391 Mhz
Processorx86 Family 15 Model 6 Stepping 5 GenuineIntel ~3391 Mhz
BIOS Version/DateDell Inc. 2.3.1, 5/21/2007
SMBIOS Version2.3
Windows DirectoryC:\WINDOWS
System DirectoryC:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device\Device\HarddiskVolume1
LocaleUnited States
Hardware Abstraction LayerVersion = “5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)”
User Name—
Time ZoneEastern Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory293.26 MB
Total Virtual Memory2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory1.96 GB
Page File Space2.38 GB
Page FileC:\pagefile.sys

IE7 summary:
Version7.0.5730.13
Build75730
Application PathC:\Program Files\Internet Explorer
LanguageEnglish (United States)
Active PrinterHP Color LaserJet,winspool,Ne03:
Cipher Strength128-bit
Content AdvisorDisabled
IEAK InstallNo

Just a quick update on this.  Still no solution using Automise, every PC we've tried it on here has the same random key repeat issue.

We did find a solution however using AutoHotKeys - this runs perfect everytime.  It obviously isn't  a replacement for Automise, but when used with Automise I think it will give us the solution we need.

If you guys do have some ideas on what is causing this and how to fix please update as I would much rather have everything in one application and the control over automise is much better.

Thanks!

same thing happens to me when trying to enter text in to a web form it repeats the keys three or four times. but i tested it in notepad and it worked OK, then it left out one letter
i am using vista with internet explorer 7.

I will say that the Send Keyboard Input action is not very reliable with IE7… it relies on window handles and child controls to find the controls… but ie doesn’t conform. I was able to reproduce the missing character in notepad. I put the send keys action in a tight loop (for loop that does nothing else), however as soon as I added something else in the loop (set variable) the problem went away. I’m inclined to think that windows cannot process the messages fast enough. I will do some more investigation on this to see if there is anything we can do differently.

I spoke too soon… it’s not 100% reliable even with a delay between send keys, although it is more reliable. I will post here when I have a resolution.

Hi Jay/Todd

Ok, I have made some progress on this. The issue is that we are using the Windows.Forms.SendKeys.SendWait method to send the keys… unfortunately this method is unreliable, as it is susceptible to focus changes. When you see incomplete strings or doubled up characters, it is because something tried to steal the focus while the SendWait method was running. I have modified our code to increase the likelihood of success (always call setfocus) but because of the nature of the SendKeys class (calls the windows SendInput api for each character) we cannot guarantee success.

I am still doing some more testing of this, I post here when we have a build available with hopefully and improved behavior.

Thanks Vincent! Appreciate the effort. Automise is working so well for me in every other application I’ve automated with it.

Don’t know if they would let you know how they are doing it, but autohotkeys appears to not have any problems with this. I’ve hacked using the two together to get most of what I need done, but again it’s not clean and I would like to just use automise alone in the future.

Thanks!
Jay