Save Truncates the Project

Finalbuilder 7.0.0.267
Windows 7

I needed to make a small modification to our main build project, so made the change and saved it.
Reloaded the project and discovered that half the Action Lists had been lost!

My initial thought was that I had made an error during the edit, reverted to the version before (the project is in CVS), and carefully retried - same issue.

I then reverted again, and simply saved without any changes. Exit Finalbuilder, then re-launch Finalbuilder and reload the project - which has then lost the definitions of several of the action lists - see attached before and after screen shots.

Attempted to attach a copy of the project, but 2.8M exceeds your file size limit, and a Zip of the project (a much more manageable 163k) is not allowed as an attachment.

Hi Jonathon

I’m assuming you are using 7.0.0.2671 (there never was a 7.0.0.267 released), which is from 2014. Your Software Assurance subscription lapsed on 16 April 2014, so I’m not able to provide you with a fix. My suggestion would be to install the latest FB7 version on another machine (will run in trial mode) and see if the same thing occurs, as a lot has happened since 7.0.0.2671

https://www.finalbuilder.com/downloads/finalBuilder/finalbuilder-7-version-history
https://www.finalbuilder.com/downloads/finalBuilder/finalbuilder-8-version-history

If you wish to reactivate your software assurance (that will give you access to latest FB7 and all FB8 releases) then contact sales @ finalbuilder.com for a quote.

Note also that FinalBuilder 7 is no longer supported, so if the issue still occurs with the latest FB7, we would only fix it if the issue also occured in FB8.

Vincent,

Yes, it’s 7.0.0.2671

looking at the version history for FB7, I can’t see anything that obviously relates to the problem we have, and the only update that was available within our assurance period was the update to 7.0.0.2795, on the 10th April 2014, which we obviously missed updating to.

If the solution does prove to be to update to a newer version, is there any reason for us to NOT go for the latest FB8 ?
The one thing I’ve not been able to see on the website is a system requirements - in this case I found the error on my Win 7 PC, but we also need it to run on XP SP3, as some of the very old legacy software supported by the build will not run on Win 7.

Does FB 8 run on XP?

Tried a trial version of FB 7.0.0.3486 on my XP laptop (which didn’t previously have FB on) - and the same issue occurs.

Unfortunately, FB 8 requires Powershell 3.0, which requires Win 7 or later, so is not an option for us.

Any suggestions?

I’ve now managed to work around the problem, by taking an earlier revision of the project, reapplying the changes between that and the current version, and the new change I was wanting to make - which I was able to save without problems.

Hopefully this was just a one-off problem with something specific to that particular project file.

FB8 requires windows 7 or later as it uses some api’s not available on winxp.

My guess would be the problem is an xml character encoding issue. What was the change you were making?

I had a couple of actions to define a fileset, the copy the fileset.
I added an If… Then … Else bock so that it would copy a different set of files based on a project variable (numeric).

The problem, however, manifested on the copy of the project before making the change (IE I could check it out of version control, open in FB then without making changes simple ‘Save As’ to give it a different name, and the saved version suffered from the truncation problem (The version in memory in FB was OK, but closing FB and opening the new version revealed the problem - it was also considerably smaller on disk).

My suspicion (since I was able to take the previous version, apply the previous change and new change, and save OK), is that it may be linked to the way CVS stores text files - and that it somehow an odd character introduced into the XML via this ‘original + delta’ system, but there was nothing obvious when I did a diff on the previous vs current project files (using Beyond Compare).

Are you able to send this project (pre-changes) to support @ finalbuilder.com so we can see if that is still a problem in the latest version? At the very least we might be able to see what the cause was.