Python Scripting

I am currently enamored with python and I think I am going to be in love with it for a long time. It would be great to have python support in Automise.

Hi Chaim,

Unfortunately there aren’t any fully ActiveScript compliant implementations of Python that we know about at the moment.

Have you tested against Python with the win32 extensions? It should work. What problems did you have? Would you be willing to work with me to get it working?

Hi Chaim,

We used to have Python scripting available in FinalBuilder (version 2 or 3 I think). But because it wasn’t a complete implementation some things didn’t work… and so we decided to remove it. Vincent is away today, but he will be able to give you more information on this early next week.

.t8

Hi Chaim

The scripting support in FinalBuilder is based on Active Scripting. As Tate said, we had support for ActiveState PythonScript in earlier versions of FinalBuilder , however their implementation of the active scripting interfaces were not very complete, so for example it was not possible to access FinalBuilder variables from scripts, or pass values back and forth between FinalBuilder and the scripts.

We have done some work on abstracting the scripting support in FinalBuilder/Automise so that in the future we might be able to integrate other scripting engines without requiring that the implement active scripting interfaces. While I can’t make any promises at this stage it might be possible in the future.

Vincent,

Thank you for elaborating. I am very interested in using Automise with Python. I have the qualifications to beta test anything you have in this area. I can send you more info via PM or email if you wish. Please include me when you get back to this.

thanx,
chaim

Does the same restriction apply to ActiveSate’s ActivePerl as well?

Yes - same restriction, but we’re doing some work on the scripting internals at the moment and it may be possible in the future.

Any news on this now that Microsoft has Iron Python?

Ah Ha! Automise 3 with IronPython support. I knew it. :wink: