Override repository branch mapping with branch from trigger source

We have a Project with a couple of configurations. One configuration is started manuel. The other configuration will be triggert from each other.

Config 1 (Triggerd manuel) > Config 2 (Triggerd by build completed of Config1)  > Config 3 (Triggerd by build completed of Config2)

So if by the start of Config 1 I slect which repository branch or tag will be used to build the configuration i will also use the same branch or tag to build the Config 1 and Config 2.

Is there a way to do that?

Currently Continua doesn’t have the ability to start a build from another passing the branch and/or tag to build. We currently have planned a dependencies feature which will cover this requirement and more.

At present the best I can offer is placing all the configurations under one, and splitting them up by stage. Then using conditionals to flag what stages to perform.

E.g.

Stage 1
if BuildPart1 then

Stage 2
if BuildPart2 then

etc

To make it simpler to run a manual build you could have BuildPart1 (a better variable name might be required) default to true. Making one less click to start a manual build. Also the triggers could set the variables required for each part of the build.

Not the best I understand, but currently the only way I can see to get the outcome you require.

Is this still on your task list and when will it be released?

Hi Marcel,

Yes, the dependencies feature is still on our to-do list. Its just quite a major feature and we’ve had several other high priority features to implement in the meantime.

There have been some changes to Build Completed triggers since your post  which means that you can now pass variables from the triggering to triggered build and also set conditions. You can, for example, set up a condition to only trigger a build if $Source.RepoName.Branch$ for the triggering build was “Master”. 

Has the status of this changed? I am trying to daisy-chain builds together using build completed events, but from what I’m hearing there’s no way to make it so that the triggered build uses the same branch as the triggering build, which seems to make the build completed trigger not very useful.

Hi Praeus,

It is possible to set up the build completed trigger so that the triggered build uses the same branch as the triggering build. You will however currently need to set up one build completed trigger per repository branch. 

For example - to trigger Configuration B on branch “dev” of RepoX when a build completes on branch “dev” of RepoX for Configuration A.

1. Add a build completed trigger to Configuration B and select Configuration A.
2. Tick the “Override repository branch mappings” check box. 
3. Select the Branch Mappings tab that appears and choose the “dev” branch for RepoX.
4. Select the Conditions tab enter the expression $Source.RepoX.BranchName$ Equals “dev”.

This trigger will only run if a build completes on Configuration A for “dev” branch of RepoX and will run a build for the same repository branch.

There’s lot more work for us to do on this feature. Ideally the Branch Mappings would have options to automatically use the same branch as a matching repository in the triggering build.

Hi all,

i have a question:

Ideally the Branch Mappings would have options to automatically use the same branch as a matching repository in the triggering build.

Would that mean that i choose a certain branch in the triggering build, and that one would be passed on to the triggered build? That would be neat, since we use versioned branches for our releases so choosing one fixed branch on “Branch Mappings” would not work.

Any idea when this will be released?

Thanks
Holger

Would that mean that i choose a certain branch in the triggering build, and that one would be passed on to the triggered build? That would be neat, since we use versioned branches for our releases so choosing one fixed branch on "Branch Mappings" would not work.

Yes, that's the plan.

Any idea when this will be released?

When it's ready. Sorry I can't be more specific, but we have limited resources and are working hard on a long list of features/requests etc.

Hi there,

ist there any news on this?

Thanks
Holger

Hi Holger,

Unfortunately not. It’s on our to-do list but has slipped under our radar. I’ll bump up the priority. I’ve also moved this topic to the feature request category so it can be voted for.