Octopus Deploy - Expressions not working in Create Release

I have a build created where I’m trying to pass the commit messages as the Release Notes into Octopus Deploy via the “Create Release” event and it doesn’t seem to be evaluating the expressions associated with the build. Whatever I type into the “Release Notes” field is added verbatim to the Release Notes of Octopus Deploy, so I know that the data is being passed over, but the expressions aren’t evaluating.

I tried a bunch of different variations of the expression, but nothing seems to work. As an example of something I completely expected to work was setting the field to:
$Build.Version$

That variable is also used in the “Default Package Version” field on the same screen and it seems to be properly evaluated in that part of the screen, but in the Release Notes area of Octopus after the build is created, it literally says:
$Build.Version$

I also changed the value in the field to a variable from the project and that doesn’t seem to work either.

In the “Create Options” tab, I have the following:
Build Event: On Build Completed
Build Status: Successful
Wait for Results: Checked
Fail Build on Error: Not Checked
Log Build Messages: Checked

Ideally, I want to set the Release Notes to the following, so that the commit messages are passed into Octopus, which is then integrated with Jira.
$Source.bluetick_app.Changesets.Select(“comment”).Join(“\n”)$

Anyone have any ideas?

Hi Mike,

Thank you for reporting this issue. We can confirm that the expressions are not being evaluated in the Octopus Deploy Release Notes field. We are working on a fix and plan upload a new release in the next day or two.

1 Like

Wow, thanks for getting back to me so quickly on this. Now that I know it’s a confirmed bug, I’ll stop wasting my time poking at it trying to figure out what I’m doing wrong.

Thanks again!

v1.9.2.1264 includes a fix for this issue

1 Like

Thank you! That seems to be working now.

1 Like