MSBuild and BaseIntermediateOutputPath Variable

Hello,

I use FinalBuilder to build several .NET assemblies; the same project compiled against different .NET frameworks.  In order to get builds like this to run concurrently, each build must have its own "obj" folder.  I attempt to do this by adding a property called "BaseIntermediateOutputPath" and setting it to something specific like "obj\VS2005."   When I add this property, however, MSBuild gives me this error:

Microsoft (R) Build Engine Version 2.0.50727.1433
[Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 2.0.50727.1433]
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 2005. All rights reserved.

MSBUILD : error MSB1008: Only one project can be specified.
Switch: C:\GPS.NET\GPS.NET 2.0 (VS2005 Designers).csproj

For switch syntax, type "MSBuild /help"
Action Failed
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\msbuild.exe returned : 1

... I can't see the exact command-line call FinalBuilder uses to execute MSBuild, so I can only guess as to the error.  But, this error suggests that when MSBuild is called, my project name is not being wrapped in quotes.  Is there anything I can do to make FinalBuilder work around this issue?  It seems to me adding quotes is something that would have to be done as a bugfix in FinalBuilder.  Try to build a project with both a space in the project name and a property such as BaseIntermediateOutputPath set to reproduce this problem.

Until a workaround is solved, I won't be able to run more than one build at a time, which cripples the build process.

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your post. Sorry to hear you're having problems.

I'm guessing that you have quoted the property value on the Properties page. You don't need to quote that, and in this case it seems to break the action (it double-quotes it). I'll fix that bug ASAP, but for the time being (and in the future) you won't need to quote it.

Regards,

Angus

Hi Angus, thanks for the fast response.  I wonder if there's a way to get FB to log the actual command line it calls?  This might help us get specifics on what caused the issue, and whether anything needs to be improved. 

FB is really a wonderful tool for us, and it feels great to be able to issue a release by hitting one key!

Hi Jon,

We should be able to do this for you.

Is the issue resolved now? Last week I noticed another quoting oddity with MSBuild, so it’s possible you’re seeing that.

Regards,

Angus

Sounds good, in the meantime I can work around the issue by being more patient and not trying to force my builds to be 100% asychronous.  It's awesome to see it run in 3 minutes but 20 minutes is acceptable too. ;)