Hi,

we currently have a major problem with our Continua Buildserver. The CPU is running with 100%. The Task-Manager shows Git Credential Manager with high activity. The event log though lists errors caused by Continua.

Issue #1

Error occurred while check for stage promotion timeouts. Details: Exception: TransactionException

Stack Trace: bei NHibernate.Transaction.AdoTransaction.Begin(IsolationLevel isolationLevel)
bei NHibernate.Impl.AbstractSessionImpl.BeginTransaction()
bei Continua.Shared.Data.Hibernate.NHibernateDatabase…ctor(ISessionFactory sessionFactory, DatabaseType dbtype, ILogger log)
bei Continua.Shared.Data.Hibernate.NHibernateDatabaseFactory.Open()
bei Continua.Session.get_Database()
bei Continua.Modules.Builds.BuildManager.GetBuildsByState(BuildState state)
bei Continua.Modules.Builds.BuildExpirationPolicyManager.ExecuteStagePromotionCheck()

Exception: SocketException

Message: Es konnte keine Verbindung hergestellt werden, da der Zielcomputer die Verbindung verweigerte

Stack Trace: bei Npgsql.NpgsqlConnector.Connect(NpgsqlTimeout timeout)
bei Npgsql.NpgsqlConnector.d__153.MoveNext()
— Ende der Stapelüberwachung vom vorhergehenden Ort, an dem die Ausnahme ausgelöst wurde —
bei System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
bei System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
bei Npgsql.NpgsqlConnector.d__149.MoveNext()
— Ende der Stapelüberwachung vom vorhergehenden Ort, an dem die Ausnahme ausgelöst wurde —
bei Npgsql.ConnectorPool.d__20.MoveNext()
bei System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
bei Npgsql.NpgsqlConnection.<>c__DisplayClass32_0.<g__OpenLong|0>d.MoveNext()
bei Npgsql.NpgsqlConnection.Open()
bei NHibernate.Connection.DriverConnectionProvider.GetConnection()
bei NHibernate.AdoNet.ConnectionManager.GetConnection()
bei NHibernate.Transaction.AdoTransaction.Begin(IsolationLevel isolationLevel)

Issues #2

The web server reported the following error:
Exception: FaultException

Stack Trace:
Server stack trace:
bei System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.HandleReply(ProxyOperationRuntime operation, ProxyRpc& rpc)
bei System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)
bei System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)
bei System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
bei System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
bei System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
bei Continua.Common.Services.Contracts.IPrivateMessageService.GetUnreadPrivateMessagesForUser(Guid userId, Paging paging)
bei Continua.Web.Controllers.AccountController.<>c__DisplayClass31_0.b__0(IPrivateMessageService x) in W:\CI_WS\Ws\943442\Source\CT_Source\Source\Continua.Web\Controllers\AccountController.cs:Zeile 932.
bei Continua.Web.ContinuaController.With[TService](Action`1 action, ServiceEndpointOptions options) in W:\CI_WS\Ws\943442\Source\CT_Source\Source\Continua.Web\Controllers\ContinuaController.cs:Zeile 904.
bei Continua.Web.Controllers.AccountController.SystemMessagesLatest() in W:\CI_WS\Ws\943442\Source\CT_Source\Source\Continua.Web\Controllers\AccountController.cs:Zeile 932.

Thomas

Maybe an issue with PostgreSQL?

Eventlog

Die Beschreibung für die Ereignis-ID “0” aus der Quelle “PostgreSQL” wurde nicht gefunden. Entweder ist die Komponente, die dieses Ereignis auslöst, nicht auf dem lokalen Computer installiert, oder die Installation ist beschädigt. Sie können die Komponente auf dem lokalen Computer installieren oder reparieren.

Falls das Ereignis auf einem anderen Computer aufgetreten ist, mussten die Anzeigeinformationen mit dem Ereignis gespeichert werden.

Die folgenden Informationen wurden mit dem Ereignis gespeichert:

FATAL: Verbindung wird abgebrochen aufgrund von Anweisung des Administrators

Hi Thomas,

First check that you have not run out of space on your hard drive. Then try restarting the Continua CI PostgreSQL service, followed by the Continua CI Server service (or rebooting the server). If this doesn’t fix the problem then, we will need to diagnose the issue with the database.

Hi Sparky,

i rebooted the machine. No change. I reinstalled Continua. No change. I deactive the ContinuaCI Service. CPU usage drops immediately. I restart it and CPU usage will get up again.

What steps are necessary to fix a possible issue with PostgreSQL?

PS: There is 14 GB of free space on the hard disk running Continua.

Running on Windows 10 Pro Version 1903

First install pgAdmin 4, and check whether you can connect to the database. The connection details are in the server configuration file: %ProgramFiles%\VSoft Technologies\ContinuaCI\Server\Continua.Server.Service.exe.config under configuration -> hibernate-configuration -> session-factory -> property name="connection.connection_string

Yes, i can connect to the server and the ContinuaCI database.

Can you query any tables? e.g Navigate to Schemas -> public -> Tables, right click on a table, say builds_build and select View/Edit data -> All rows

I can query the schema, but when i want to view all data, i get this error:

could not send data to server: Socket is not connected (0x00002749/10057) could not send ssl negotiation packet:

Our IT told me, that they have moved the virtual machine to new hardware. Could this be some certificate issue?

Are you using the bundled PostgreSQL service or a separate standalone PostgreSQL server?

The bundled version, installed by Continua

It shouldn’t use ssl. Have any changes been made to the postgresql.conf file at C:\ProgramData\VSoft\ContinuaCI\PostgreSQLDB?

I googled for this error and found threads reporting issues with Postgre having replication issues on Windows 10.

No changes on the file for more than a year. Besides SSL is configured OFF.

We don’t use replication.

What did you use as the host name when connecting to the database. Try using 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost

It’s 127.0.0.1.

I’m in trouble now, as i have another appointment that i must attend. I’ll be back in about 80 minutes. Any chance you’re still online then?

No sorry. It’s 18:45pm on a Friday - I should have been home an hour ago.

Any more hint what else to check?

Thanks a lot anyway. Have a nice weekend. I hope we will be able to fix this.