How to notify different groups depending on the build status?

Hi,

for successful builds i want to notify other (more) team members, as opposed to a failing build. I tried to create different subscriptions to the same project. However, when editing a subscription later, the settings get mixed.

Another issue is, that i need to create different ‘groups’, just to have different notification groups.

Any ideas on how to set this up?

Thomas

This sounds like a bug, are you able to provide the steps you take and what exactly happens?

There is no separate group concept for notifications, it uses the same permssion groups, because you can only recieve notifications if you have access to a configuration. I’m afraid that’s just how it works, I’m not sure how it could work any differently.

Steps to reproduce

• create s subscription
  • check “Success” only
  • save
  • create a second subscription
  • check “Failed” only
  • select the same project as with the first subscription
  • edit first subscription
    As you can see, success and failure will be checked :frowning:

Are you doing that under your personal notifications or under admin? If it is admin (the only way you can assign groups), then make sure you assign different groups, otherwise the settings will be merged (multiple subscriptions for the same group).

One possible solution would be to allow (un)checking members of the permission group as part of the subscription definition.

[EDIT]
As of your latest reply, in which you confirm, that it is not possible to use the same group twice, my suggestion should be an appropriate solution. Otherwise you’ll have to create an extra group, just for having different members to be notified.

I do it as an admin. I understand it merges the settings, but consider this a flaw in the UI.

Hi Thomas,

We can confirm that there is a bug on the subscriptions page as of v1.9 where the checkboxes are not cleared when closing the dialog. This means that the checkboxes which were ticked when editing one subscription are still ticked when editing another existing subscription - unless the page is refreshed. Note that the subscriptions are not merged when saved as previously suggested.

We’ll fix this and release a new version - hopefully today.

I don’t quite get the difficulty with creating new groups for subscriptions? You can name it as a “notification” group to differentiate it from others and you don’t necessarily need to give it any permissions.

Currently each subscription is linked to a single userid, groupid or room/channel name in the database. Changing this to a list of users would be a significant change and we don’t currently see this as a priority.

Please see my follow post here:
Subscriptions for multiple projects