How to best deal with "Unspecified Error" happening (seemingly) randomly

I have a project that runs an MSSQL Execute action repeatedly as part of an iterated process.  Most nights the process runs fine.  Last night it failed on the 170th iterations, after 169 successes.  The UPDATE statement that it was running was functionally no different from the previous 169, but on this one I got the following error in the log:

Executing Query: UPDATE crd_initiative SET hours_used = 5173.5 where initiative_id = 1000021 

Sqlcmd: Error: Internal error at ExecuteSqlCmd (Reason: Unspecified error).

Execute failed, return code: 1

Is there any way to test for this, or keep it from happening?  Should I set up retries on the Execute action?  It seems very random, but it stops the whole process when it occurs.  I don’t want to just “Ignore Failure”, because if one of the statements DOES fail I want to know about it.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan

This sounds very much like this issue : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2121407/

I’m not sure if retries would resolve this issue or not. I would try updating to the latests sqlcmd first and see if that resolves it.

There were several updates that had been downloaded by Windows Update but not yet installed, many of which had to do with SQL Server.

I have now installed all of the updates, so hopefully this will go away.  I think you are right about what was causing the error.  If it happens again I will update this thread.

Thank you for the heads-up!

Thanks,

Jonathan