FinalBuilder 8 exception on startup after upgrading to Server 2016

We’re in the process of upgrading our build server from Windows 2012 R2 to Windows 2016 to fix some Windows Update wierdness.
So we’ve done an in-place upgrade to Windows 2016 to see if we can avoid the whole Windows and tools reinstall process.

It all seems to have upgraded fine… except FinalBuilder won’t run any more :frowning:

Both FBCmd.exe and FinalBuilder.exe give an exception on startup “No mapping for the Unicode character exists in the target multi-byte code page.”

Here is the madExcept details:

date/time : 2018-02-27, 16:55:27, 315ms
computer name : VULCAN
wts client name : DESKTOP-M6PHG8J
user name : BStewart
registered owner : Windows User
operating system : Windows NT New x64 build 14393
system language : English
system up time : 1 hour 35 minutes
program up time : 634 milliseconds
processors : 8x Intel® Xeon® Silver 4114 CPU @ 2.20GHz
physical memory : 574/2048 MB (free/total)
free disk space : (C

Hi Paul

This is rather strange, but it looks like the file :

C:\ProgramData\VSoft\FinalBuilder8\FinalBuilder8.ini

has an invalid encoding, or the file is corrupt.

Open the file in Notepad++ and check the encoding, it should be UTF8 (with or without a BOM ).

Also check the permission on the file, I’ve has some weird issues with file permissions after windows upgrades, and lately even after windows updates!

Thanks for the tip.

I’ll check that out tomorrow and report back with what I find in case it helps someone else.

Yes, it was some form of file corruption in the .ini apparently caused by “not including the smart page file” when they did the image preparation prior to the in-place upgrade. They’ve since reverted and redone the in-place upgrade afresh and everything seems fine (so far) in that Final Builder starts up without issue.

Now we just need to get the Perforce Service happy to start again (it needs the same IP address) and we’ll be able to more fully put our build scripts through their paces and prove it’s all working as it’s supposed to.

Thanks for the support as always,
Paul.