Designtime / runtime URLs and Paths in various controls

Hi to my favorite FB dealers :slight_smile:

Daily  we encounter an inconvenience in controls where load of various properties and setting is an option. An examples could be the web service actions, or the  msbuild action.
At design time it is nice to load various info, in the web service action as an example, it could be the available interfaces. But on run time the URL, would be constructed from variables, not visible at design time. 
So we would love the option to set a runtime URL/path and a design time URL/Path.

Best regards 
Jesper

I just took a quick look at the msbuild action and made a small change to it so that it will use the default values of variables at design time when loading the project file. Note that loading targets & properties for solutions is not supported, but for real msbuild projects (ie csproj, vbproj etc) it will work. So when using variables, set their default values so that they can be used at design time. This will be available in the next update.

I’ve also made a note to look at this for the webservice actions. Reviewing every single action will take far too long with our limited resources, but I will discuss with the team about addressing this as we working on actions (so it will improve over time). A quick grep of the source shows me that some actions already deal with this, but many do not. Feel free to bring any others that could use this treatement to our attention.

Hi Vincent,
As a rule of thumb, we try to avoid default values, as our experience tells us that they tend to be error prone. However an option do define a default value as design time only, would be a convenient in many situations, and would solve the problem alongside with the above mentioned feature.
/Jesper

Hi Jesper

It’s not a simple thing to do, variable expression expansion is already way more complex than most people realise, adding a third level (design, default & current) would just make matters worse. The current design is to use default values at design time, it’s just always been implemented by all the devs who have worked on the product over the years.

Hi Vincent,
Thank you for the reply and for taking time to consider the issue.
I guess we will live on with things the way they are :-), we still love Finalbuilder.
/Jesper