Copy File - Fail If Zero Files Copied

Hi VSoft

I have an Automise project which includes a Copy File action. I expect the file not to be copied because the destination is on another system and the destination file may very well be in use at the time when I am copying.

However if the file gets copied, I have a satisfactory result, if it doesn’t, too bad but not a great concern.

In order to allow the rest of the project to proceed, I have removed the tick from the box “Fail if Zero Files Copied”. What happens is that Automise fails the entire set of actions at this point, if it cannot copy to the destination and returns a message to the effect ‘cannot copy - file is in use’ and produces an error status.

Having unticked the relevant box for this particular situation, I expect a happy path solution. But Automise fails the project with the above error.

Help does not offer any guidance on this. It reads “If this option is set and no files are copied, the action will fail.” So I beleive that the converse applies: unticked means it will succeed irrespective of file(s) copied or not. I really don’t care for any reason as to why it does not work.

My guess is that this feature only applies if the source files are unavailable. And perhaps no consideration is made to the output files, so it fails if the file cannot be written.

I think this is a bug - either in the code or the documentation. I would like this to work along the lines of "No matter what happens (e.g. missing file(s), destination folder missing, can’t create output), the operation will not fail, if the “Fail if Zero Files Copied” is unticked.

regards

SeaCay

Hi Colin,

The ‘Fail if no files copied’ option does indeed only fail when no source files are available to copy (such as when using a wild card), you need to enable ‘Ignore Failure’ to get the behaviour you’re after.

Regards,
Paul,

Hello Paul,

Thanks for your reply.

For a future release, could you add this caveat to the help files please?

regards

Colin