Continua server 1.9.2.580 fails to start after update, database on SQL Server instance in availability group

Hi,

This morning I installed the Continua server 1.9.2.580 update. When the server service restarted, it failed with the following error:

Could not initialise database: An error occured executing the following sql: ALTER DATABASE [ContinuaCI] SET SINGLE_USER WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE The error was The operation cannot be performed on database “ContinuaCI” because it is involved in a database mirroring session or an availability group. Some operations are not allowed on a database that is participating in a database mirroring session or in an availability group. ALTER DATABASE statement failed. Check the eventlog for more info.

Our Continua database is hosted on our production instance of SQL Server (14.0.3381.3). It is part of an availability group.

We have never encountered this problem with a Continua server update until v1.9.2.580. I can only assume there is something new in the Continua installer.

We worked around the problem this time by removing the SQL Server instance from the availability group, restarting the Continua server service which then completed it’s first run migration, and then restoring the database instance to the group.

This is not a satisfactory solution going forward. I ask that you please investigate this problem and find a way for your installer to work when the Continua database is on a database instance in an availability group. As mentioned above, this has never been a problem through numerous previous updates, so there is something new in your current installer that needs addressing.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce Palmer

Hi Bruce

This should be a once off, we needed to change the db isolation to READ_COMMITTED_SNAPSHOT to resolve a long standing issue (deadlocks). We have never needed to set the DB to single user before for any other migrations.

Vincent.

Hi Vincent,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

That’s good to know it was a once off problem that won’t be repeated.

Regards,
Bruce