'ClassFactory cannot supply requested class' when running or editing a project

Finalbuilder 5:

Our trusty buildserver suddenly stopped working. FB5 is giving error ‘ClassFactory cannot supply requested class’ when running or editing the parts of a script where some string manipulation is done.
I checked that both jscript.dll and vbscript.dll are registered. jscript.dll was not registered indeed, but after registration the same error…
Testing jscript as proposed in another thread on this forum using ‘echo WScript.Echo(‘hello’); > test.js && cscript test.js’ works ok.
Full details are below. Any help would be appreciated.

Serge

All I can suggest is to re-install FinalBuilder. You do realise that the version of FinalBuilder you are using is more than 8 years old and has not been supported for some time. I highly recommend you upgrade to FinalBuilder 8 if you need support.

Hi,

i reinstalled twice already before posting a message here. I know our FinalBuilder is quite old…
If only you could hint at what object FB is trying to initialize, i guess it’s some ActiveX\Com object that should be registered and present in the registry.

Regards,

Serge

It’s trying to create either a jscript or vbscript engine instance.

BTW, worth installing the trial of FB8 and seeing if it has the same issue.

Thanks for the info. I installed FB8, the same error happens. The log now explicitly says it’s the jscript engine that isn’t working. Further digging into that i found the same class id, f414c260-6ac0-11cf-b6d1-00aa00bbbb58 occured twice in the registry. In the 32bit location it pointed correctly to jscript.dll, but the 64bit location pointed to a dll of the McAfee virus scanner. This is a known issue as explained here: https://windowsexplored.com/2012/01/04/the-case-of-the-disabled-script-engines/.
Unregistering that McAfee dll made that the 64bit location also point to jscript.dll.
Everything works now, thanks again for the help.

Regards, Serge

Thanks for the info. I have lost count of the number of times issues were caused by antivirus software, so I’m never surprised by things like this.