ADO DataSet Iterator Memo

Not really a "bug", but the field for entering the query in ADO DataSet Iterator doesn't have scrool bars, so when you put a log query you have to realize that this is greater than what is showing and navigate trought the text with the arrows to get all the query.

Regards,

DM

That’s must be a pretty long query…

Thanks for reporting this. The next test build will have a scrollbar in this field. Another option is to press ‘F2’ and edit the query in the popup edit field which appears.

Regards,

Angus

Yes that’s long, now I can see it all (got the scroll bar).
Next 2 issues: I have that long query that I use to list be itens I have built and update then in the test environment and I need some extra data for each one of them (that’s the reason it’s to long). The number of itens may vary according to the changes made into the source files, today I got a big one, with 1252 items and the query delayed almost a minute to return (lot’s of joins) and ADO DataSet Iterator just returned nothing to me, 0 rows. I tested it several times in the db command center, almost 1 minute with 1252 rows returnd, and in FB, 40 seconds with 0 rows returned. It seams like it has a timeout set to 40 seconds, so:

1- Could you put a new option so I can set my own timeout?
2- Could it return an error when this timeout is reached instead of just saying that returned nothing?

Actually I’ve changed the script so it give me basic informations and after I query the database asking for the extra informations I need. So, for today’s buid, I got 1253 database accesses to update the test environment, that took really more time than that 1minute I needed with the “long query”.

Best regards,
DM

What a silence. No way to implement this? In the to do list? Nothing about this?

Hi Daniel,

Sorry, sometimes threads don't seem to come up as "Unread" for some annoying reason. I'm going to pass the blame onto our forum software. If we ever don't reply to post within two or three business days, I'd encourage you to post again just to be sure it got flagged as "Unread". Sorry again.

If you go to the "Action Inspector" tab when selecting the ADO Iterator then there's actually a Timeout option available there, which defaults to 30 seconds. I'll try and update the action so that it times out in a more visible way.

Regards,

Angus

Hi Daniel,

Actually, I just checked out the ADO DataSet Iterator timeout behaviour, and it’s actually timing out and returning an error, as expected. (I actually had to build a database large enough to time out, as we don’t have any at hand here!)

Are you querying against an MSSQL database? If so, what behaviour do you get when you run the query via the MSSQL action?

Regards,

Angus

No problems Angus, I just thought that really strange because you allways reply quickly, at least to say that it will be addressed in next build, etc…
I can’t use MSSQL action because I’m quering against a DB2 database.
If you wan’t to please mail me and I can set a terminal service connection to you in a test environment with this behavior, that’s no problem.

Best regards,
Daniel Mirapalheta

I just downloaded the update (build 340) and it seams that the timeout have bem increased (something like a minute). I didn’t test with the real scenario, but I’ll try it soon.

Thanks,
DM

Well, I still couldn’t reproduced with a long build (witch this query tooks a long time runing), but I realized that the ADO Execute SQL has an option to set the timeout, could you just add this in the ADO DataSet Iterator?

Best regards,
DM

Hi Daniel,

As I said in my other post, you can adjust the timeout for the ADO DataSet iterator action by going to the Action Inspector tab and looking for the Timeout option.

We will make this option available on the property pages for the action for the next major release. The only reason we can’t do it now is because the “common” timeout functionality uses minutes not seconds, so the update will change the behaviour of the action.

Regards,

Angus

Ops, I haven’t realized that post, sorry.

Thanks Angus.