Tag repository changeset failing in 1.8.1.247

I’m trying to tag my Git repo after the build completes in CI  1.8.1.247. I have a global user set up in Git, but am getting an error about not being able to identify the Git user.

Any ideas?

Executing event handlers for ‘On Build Completed’ build event
Executing handler ‘Tag repo’ for build event ‘On Build Completed’
An error occurred while adding the tag ‘2017.2.1129’ to the changeset with revision ‘ba9a241c8b1c9ec3d122232dfc99a65c6cedd688’ in repository ‘XXX’. Message: Running ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\Git\bin\git.exe’ with arguments “tag -m “Inserted tag ‘2017.2.1129’ for changeset ba9a241c” 2017.2.1129 ba9a241c8b1c9ec3d122232dfc99a65c6cedd688” failed with return code 128 and error output: "
*** Please tell me who you are.
Run
git config --global user.email "you@example.com"
git config --global user.name “Your Name”
to set your account’s default identity.
Omit --global to set the identity only in this repository.
fatal: unable to auto-detect email address (got ‘SYSTEM@YYY.(none)’)
"

Hi Sean,

You need to set up Git for the user account that the Continua CI Server service is running under.

Either log in as that user and run the commands :

git config --global user.email "you@example.com"
git config --global user.name “Your Name"

Or edit C:\Users\ServiceUserName.gitconfig and add the lines:

[user]
name = “Your Name”
email = "you@example.com

Hi Dave

I have a user set up in the global config for the account under which the build runs. I can see that account name under the Agent’s Env.USERNAME. Same error though.

Thanks

Sean

Hi Sean,

The build event handlers (and all repository commands) run on the server under the Continua CI Server service user account. Can you check the git config for that account?

Yes, the ContinuaCI service was running under different credentails. Changed those and it’s now working properly. Many thanks for the assistance!