SMTP authentication

Hi,

When I edit the smtp publisher I specify the server-address & port & from-address, make sure Use SSL is unchecked and do not provide a username or password.  However when I try to validate it’s trying to force a username and password to send email - how do you make it work without authentication? Error message:

An error occurred while sending a test email. Please check your email settings. Details: Failed to open SMTP connection to deliver email message to *** A call to SSPI failed, see inner exception… Reply from SMTP service was '220 *** ESMTP Exim 4.84_2 Fri, 18 Nov 2016 09:12:14 +0200 EHLO [***] 250-*** Hello ***[10.3.168.107] 250-SIZE 52428800 250-8BITMIME 250-PIPELINING 250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN 250-STARTTLS 250 HELP STARTTLS 220 TLS go ahead '

I’m using v1.8.1.121 - tnx!

Hi Pieter,

Thank you for reporting this. Currently when the Use SSL option is not ticked Continua CI is incorrectly defaulting to a Start-TLS-When-Available option. As your server is reporting that it supports TLS it is attempting to create an SSL connection and this is where it is failing. Unfortunately the inner exception is not being shown so why don’t know why the SSL connection failed. 

Note that the issue is not with the user name. This is happening on connection to the SMTP server before authentication and we don’t authenticate if the username is blank. 

We’ll get this fixed up so that a) you can turn off SSL completely and b) the inner exception is shown in the error message. We’ll hopefully have a new version out with these fixes ready in the next couple of days.

Hi Dave,

Thank you, appreciated!

Regards,
Pieter