Possible problems with time triggers

Hi,

we may experience some problems with Continua build triggers when set to time. We found out that some nightly scheduled builds stopped working some days ago, looking in the history it appears to be around 2 weeks ago when we installed the Continua update that caused another bug we already reported and which has been fixed (source triggers not working)

I wasn’t able to reproduce it; I created a new time trigger on one of our builds and it worked. However, the developer reported that he changed the time trigger to a different timeslot; it then seem to have worked for one day, but last night it didn’t trigger anymore.
We do have some other builds which do not seem to trigger anymore based on time as well.

All of these triggers are configured as “Daily”, so we’re not using one shot triggers.

This report may seem vague to you since we haven’t provided any reproducible steps. Just want to check with you if we’re doing something wrong, something may have changed of if you would be able to test it in a different way.

Kind regards,
Remko Seelig

Hi Remko,

We have made several optimisations to triggers recently to deal with high CPU usage issues for a user with a large number of time triggers so it’s possible that bug has creeped in there. We do however have several daily and periodic triggers running regularly without issue on our own servers with version 1.8.1.121 of Continua CI installed. I’ve checked through the recent code changes but have not found any reason so far why the triggers would fail. If you could provide some more information on the trigger settings, then this would help us to narrow down the cause. 

Can you also check if there are any errors in the event log around the time the triggers should fire. In addition to this, can you check the last executed times on the Trigger page of the Configuration Wizard for the triggers which are not working? If these are not being updated then this could be an issue with the trigger logic. If the last exceuted times are being updated, but the builds are still not running, then there may be an issue with the build queuing. 

Finally, if you can enable debug logging on the server so we can have a log of what is happening when the triggers fail this would be a great help.

Hello,
I have the same trigger problem with the Version 1.8.1.121.

I can see this since 1 or 2 month. What I also see is that the standard error logs are not working just before the triggers.
So my last logs are 13 days old and the triggers stopped at one week later.

If there is any solution to fix this problems please let me know.

Hi Guido,

When a new version is installed, any changes to the loggers in the configuration file are lost. This is intended, as debug logging can affect service performance, although we are thinking about adding an option to the installer to allow the logging options to remain. This is probably why your debug logs stopped working.

Unfortunately, we have not been able to reproduce the issue with time triggers. We would like to get to the bottom of this and any further information you can provide such as screeenshots of trigger settings and a diagnostics report would help us to work out the cause. Can you also let us know what the Last Executed times on the Trigger page of the Configuration Wizard for the triggers are set to? If you edit one of the triggers, does it start working again?   

If you can also re-enable debug logging in the service configuration file, then restart the service, and wait until after the time the trigger was supposed to run has passed, before sending us the debug log that should help us diagnose this issue quickly. 

Hi,

We have now reproduced an issue with the time triggers where they would stop working after enabling an unrelated configuration. Please download version 1.8.1.167 and let us know if there are any further issues.