Workspace Sync is slow

Hi,

I have three stages in my project. The first stage performs a build and places the compiled binaries into the $Workspace$\Output folder. These three files are approx 90mb and continua reports the copy action of copying them to the output folder to take less than a second.

When the agent to server workspace sync happens on this first stage, it takes 8 minutes for continua to sync. I can’t understand why it’s taking so long. Particularly when on the next two stages, the server to agent sync only takes 2 seconds. 

The final stage of the build process is a publish stage so i’ll need access to the compiled binaries in order to publish/package them.

Can you explain why the agent to server ws sync on the first stage takes so long and if there’s another method you would recommend instead of this for handling the same thing. Should I simply copy the compiled binaries to a network share instead?

Thanks,
Sean

Hi Sean,

We’re not sure why this would take so long. We just use the .Net CopyTo command to transfer the files to the UNC share and it only takes a few seconds in our builds. Is it possible that the server disk is busy with other builds or repositories running at the same time - can you check the disk usage next time this happens? 

What workspace rules are you using? Are you using the << to clear the target folder? If you temporarily enable the log workspace files copied option in the Stage Options, you can then check which files are actually being copied.  

Okay no worries.

I’m not using the << option at all. Just the default < and >.

Enabling the logs show only the 3 files I expected are being copied.

I’ll do some testing and look into it further. It could have something to do with the disk on the particular agent rather than the server.

Thanks for your help.