Testcomplete 11 and finalbuilder 8

Hi,

I would like to run a testcomplete action from within finalbuilder, but I can’t get it to work. When I run the finalbuilder project which contains only the testcomplete action, I get the following error:

“Error executing program : Failed to execute program. Error : U hebt niet de benodigde bevoegdheden voor deze bewerking” (The last part of the error is in Dutch and says that I don’t have the right credentials for the operation.)

I have only added a TestComplete 4/5/6 action to finalbuilder and pointed it to the right testcomplete suite. Do I miss something here? When I run the testcomplete suite from within testcomplete it runs without any problems.

How can I fix this problem?

Finalbuilder 8.0.0.1618
Testcomplete 11.30…2298.7
Windows 8.1

When you start test complete externally do you get the windows UAC dialog, or any dialog asking for extra permissions?

Hi Jason,

I don’t get any dialogs at all when running externally. I have tried to run FB as admin, but the it doesn’t solve the problem.

The error your getting is from windows saying that the user doesn’t have permissions to run the executable.

I suggest running a FinalBuilder script with an execute program action that calls test complete. The command for which looks like:

%TestCompleteInstallDir%\TestComplete.exe %TestCompleteFileToRun% /run

If this works then I suggest another execute program action be added that calls test execute. The command for which looks like:

%TestCompleteInstallDir%\TestExecute.exe %TestCompleteFileToRun% /run

If both of these work please check that the FinalBuilder options for test complete have the correct entries for test complete and test execute.

Hi Jason,

It still doesn’t work. When I run the commands from the command line it works fine even if I run it as a non-admin user. The warning I get is still the same

Hi Louis,

It would appear that you need to set the compatibility mode to “Run as Administrator”. To set this right click the FinalBuilder shortcut, go to the compatibility tab and check “run as administrator”.

Hi Jason,

I had tried that already and it didn’t work When I run finalbuilder 8 with testcomplete 10 it does work. Are you sure it should work with version 11?

Hi Louis,

On my test machine I have FinalBuilder 8 IDE set to compatibility “run as administrator”. On starting the FinalBuilder IDE I get a UAC confirmation dialog. The FinalBuilder project I run then starts TestComplete and runs a simple project which loads notepad, writes some text, then closes.

Without the “run as administrator” compatibility mode option set, I get the same error message your seeing.

The test is with FinalBuilder 8.0.0.1618 and TestComplete 11.31.2420 (This is the trail version smartbear supply).

I have sent you an video through email of this working on our test system.

Hi Jason,

Thank you very much it works now!

The strange thing is that if I just run finalbuilder as administrator it doesn’t work. I wasn’t aware that there is a difference between “run as administrator” compatibility mode option set and run as administrator.

Hi Louis Caous,

It seems there is a difference with how permissions are passed onto child processes. I thought there was something to do with the AccessUI option in the manifest, however setting this didn’t test complete with the security required. Security under windows is known to be an issue. FinalBuilder requires higher levels of access that are only offered by programmatic calls that don’t allow capture of standard in and standard out.