Feature request: send email action

You might think: this is already available, people can subscribe. The reason for this is that developers have access to the build server, not the business. Then we have a configuration that does this:

1) Initialize
2) Build
3) Test (if ci => exit)
4) Create deployment
5) Deploy
6) Finalize

What I want to accomplish is whenever I create a full release (non ci build), I want to notify the QA team that a new version is available. They are not part of the build server, nor can I not send it on completion (because a CI build can also be completed but I don’t want to send a completion email then).

Basically, I want to send an email with a specific body content when I create a full release. I think this can be done via a Send Email action (and re-use the smtp settings of the server).

Hi Geert thank you for posting.

We have a number of items on our backlog in order to better handle such notification use cases. I have added this request into that case for further investigation.

Thanks again

Hi,

Do you have any estimate when this will be available? For me it can be a simple email action with just To,Subject and Content fields (and you can re-use the email settings already configured in Continua CI).

Thanks!

Hi Geert,

Sorry but I cannot provide a time estimate. It’s not likely that we will do this as an action. As actions run on agents, we would really need to specify SMTP settings per agent to make this work sensibly. It’s more likely that we would do this as a build event handler, however we need to think through how this will fit in our plans to overhaul the existing notifications system.