"Object reference not set to an instance of an object" when getting externals in an SVN repository

Continua 1.8.0.243

Cannot get changes for repository @link(2002, ef184fd5-fa9d-4c6e-a52f-330d01f91558)[REPONAME]: Exception: NullReferenceException
Message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Stack Trace:    at Continua.Modules.Builds.Repositories.Subversion.AddExternalsToChangesetState(String workingFolder, IChangeset changeset, Boolean isTag)
   at Continua.Modules.Builds.Repositories.Subversion.GetNewChangesetsForRepositoryFolder(String workingFolder, Int32& highestRev, Boolean isDefaultBranch, Boolean isTag, String repoFolder)
   at Continua.Modules.Builds.Repositories.SubversionRepositoryPlugIn.GetNewChangesets(IRepositoryExecutionContext context, IRepositoryCache cache)
   at Continua.Modules.Builds.Repositories.Repository.GetNewChangesets(RepositoryCache cache, IRepositoryExecutionContext context)
   at Continua.Modules.Builds.Repositories.Repository.GetRepositoryChanges(RepositoryCache cache, IRepositoryExecutionContext context)

Hi Miruna,

There’s no obvious cause for this error in the code and we have not been able to reproduce it. If you are able to reproduce it, can you enable debug logging, restart the Continua CI Server service, then send the debug log to support@finalbuilder.com , once the error reoccurs.

Can you  install the latest version of Continua CI first? Version 1.8.0.243 is almost 5 months old now and then have been numerous to the Subversion repository since then.

Thanks, Dave! I’ve sent the debug log by email to Tech Support as it contains too much personal info to post the link here. Let me know if you need anything else.

It happened to our repository many times, and last time it happened when I changed an external from https://xxx.com/svn/lf/Parts/WebCommonCtrls/Branches/10.2 WebCommonCtrls to https://xxx.com/svn/LF/Parts/WebCommonCtrls/Branches/10.2@602836 WebCommonCtrls. And this issue can’t be fixed even after I changed the external back and recreated the repository.

Version 1.8.1.256 uploaded yesterday includes changes to the error handling of externals which are invalid. These are now ignored and a descriptive warning is logged to the event log.