Encoding / HG ... Updating cache

We committed a file to SVN using some chinese characters in the filename. No problem for Windows or SVN.
However, since that Continua is hanging in the early init phase when updating the cache using HG:

"Error updating cache for repository Master to changeset revision 26091. Details: Running C:\Program Files\VSoft Technologies\ContinuaCI\Server\hg\hg.exe with arguments "commit -m

abort: filename contains ‘?’, which is reserved on Windows: ‘/content/ideas/WeFlow - ???.url’ "

so instead of these funny chinese chars “you” use some question marks instead :wink:
Its urgent for us to get this work again because every project of this  repository cannot be build at this time.

BTW: this new “Build Error [view Details]” panel and the build details tab is really useful but if you expand it and it has a scrollbar, it automatically scrolls up every x sceonds (some kind of auto refresh). this is annoying.

Hi Christian

This is an issue with mercurial and encoding on windows.

See http://mercurial.808500.n3.nabble.com/Can-t-add-any-non-ascii-files-on-mercurial-for-Windows-td3992910.html

https://www.mercurial-scm.org/wiki/WindowsUTF8Plan

There are some Server Properties you can set to influence this :

Server.RepoCache.UseUTF8 - corresponds with --encoding option
Server.RepoCache.CodePage - corresponds with the HGENCODING environment variable.

I will have to check with Dave about these as my memory is a bit fuzzy on how well this works (they were added for a Russian user, but I couldn’t find a reply from him confirming his issue was resolved), but I know when we were looking at this a few months ago, we concluded that if we had known about this issue when we chose mercurial for the repo cache (my decision), we would have gone with git instead!

i tried several combinations but nothing worked :frowning:

the file name is like: “WeFlow - 一个高效、强大、跨平台的前端开发工作流工具”

Hi Christian,

Unfortunately, we have not managed to find a way to commit Chinese filenames yet either. I do however have some other options to look into. Meanwhile can you let us what the code page for your Windows console is by typing chcp on a command prompt.

cp is 850

anything new here? our system is still down :frowning:

Hi Christian.

We’ve been working on it. It’s basically an issue with Mercurial and encoding on the Windows command line. Mercurial has an extension to transform encoding to UTF8 before deal with this but is currently conflicts with the extension we already use to support long file paths. We’ve been looking into combining the two but it’s a significant task. 

Are you able to exclude the file from your repository in the mean time? Is the file needed for the build - would it help if we introduced a way to exclude these files as a stop gap measure?

its not required, so excluding it, would help. currently i try to exclude it using svndumpfilter. if you have other ideas would be nice, too.

ok, backup with svndumpfilter und restoring the new dump solved the problem (by removing the file).
so its not time critical anymore.