Lock preset branch

Hi,

I really like the new 1.6 feature to preset branches for configurations via the branch mappings. This way might be able to switch our CI configuration from multiple repositories to a single branch aware repository. But I was not able to find a setting to lock the preset branch for some users or groups.

I’d like only members of our developers group to be able to select a different branch while starting a build. The members of our QA and support team should just be able to build the predefined branches. To acheive this goal I prepared configurations for every release branch the QA and support team needs to access and added a special configuration for our development team that is not accessible by the support team. Is there any way to set this up in the latest 1.6 version or are there any plans to add this kind of feature?

Kind regards

Kay Zumbusch

Hi Kay,

Thanks for this request. Unfortunately, there currently isn’t any way to associate repository branches with user groups in Continua. We like the idea of this feature and will add an item to our to-do list to investigate the best way to implement this. I’d expect this to be more of a long term feature though. 

I guess one workaround which allows you to lock a configuration to a single branch would be to disable the queue build button - this can be done from the configuration details page. However this still requires you to have a configuration per user group and also blocks access to start up variables.

Hi Dave,

your idea should suffice for our environment. The only available variables are the version numbers and it should not be neccessary to adjust them for each build. Therefore I will just enable the quick start button for the release configurations. After a new release one of our developers will have to adjust the version numbers in the configuration but we are already doing that.

Kind regards

Kay Zumbusch