Installation - how to create 'ContinuaCI' database

Hi,

I’m having trouble installing ContinuaCI.  The instructions on http://wiki.finalbuilder.com/display/continua/Server+Installation aren’t very clear - they end with ‘Follow the rest of the instructions’ and unfortunately I’ve not been able to find ‘the rest of the instructions’ anywhere.

I’ve gone as far as that page gets you… install selecting defaults for everything.   The installer runs, appears to install files then exits silently. 

Reboot.  Go to http://localhost and it says

• 6:12 PM : Starting
  • 6:12 PM : Creating Application Instance
  • 6:12 PM : Starting
  • 6:12 PM : Setting up Loggers
  • 6:12 PM : Migrating Database
  • 6:12 PM : Could not initialise database: FATAL: 3D000: database “ContinuaCI” does not exist Check the eventlog for more info.
  • 6:12 PM : Starting Application Instance

The event log contains no entries relating to continuaci.

So somehow I have to create the ‘ContinuaCI’ database?  The wiki doesn’t say how to create it .  I found an old question where the answer was to reinstall, but I’ve already done that 3 times with identical results.

Hi Tony,

Sorry to learn that you are having problems with the installer. It is unusual for the database to be missing after running the installer. Can you let us know which options you choose when installing? Are you using the bundled postgresql database or a SQL Server database.?

The installer generates a log file which matches the pattern “Setup Log YYYY-MM-DD #XXX.txt” under C:\Users[username]\AppData\Local\Temp or in a subdirectory. If you can send this file to support@finalbuilder.com, this will help us to locate the cause of the issue.

The connection string to the database is in the service configuration file e.g. C:\Program Files\VSoft Technologies\ContinuaCI\Server\Continua.Server.Service.exe.config under configuration\hibernate-configuration\session-factory\property name=“connection.connection_string”. Can you check that this connection string is valid? If you are using the bundler postgresql server, try logging in to the admin tool C:\Program Files\VSoft Technologies\ContinuaCI\Server\PostgreSQL\bin\pgAdmin3.exe with the details in the connection string and checking if the ContinuaCI database exists.  Likewise with SQL Management Studio if you are using a SQL Server database. Also check that the service user has the correct permissions to access your choice of database.

We’ll look into making the installation guide clearer. Note, however, when we say “follow the rest of the instructions” in the documentation we are just referring to the text on the installer windows - which we deem to be straightforward from that point onwards - not any further instructions in the documentation.

Hi Tony,

We have now found that there was a bug in the code which was skipping the PostgreSQL service start up on first installs. This has now been fixed in the latest version v1.5.1.90 available from our downloads page