Multiple Action Editing

I would like to be able (presumably with the search and replace tool) to edit something in all (or selected) actions.

For example, I may want to change all Delphi compiler actions to use the latest compiler when a new one comes out. I think about this every time it happens.

When you have a big project that is compiling a lot of different programs, it can take quite a while to go through and do this.

I just thought about this again as I am replacing my Authenticode actions with SignTool ones, and having got it all working, I realised I forgot to add the timestamp, so am having to go through them all again and edit them.

Jeremy Knowles

I second this request! However because of the lack of it, I now have iterators which call a separate action list to do ‘Delphi Compile EXE’ and ‘Delphi Compile DLL’ actions. The iterator runs from several CSV lists in which I can set parameters (for example the DLL load address) which are different for each compile. This is not an ideal solution for various reasons, and I would probably change back if this feature became available.

Is this issue something that might be resolved in the next release? I am once again in the middle of traversing a bunch of Delphi compile actions to change XE2 to XE8 (at last!). Given that EMB are planning six-monthly releases, this cries out for the ability to select a block of compiles and make one change of compiler version. Or perhaps expose the compiler version value to search/replace. Even better, allow it to be a variable! That this is not currently possible is a major pain.

What is worse, if you forget and select multiple actions, then change the compiler version, FB silently changes only one of them, apparently at random.

Hi Tim

I have been taking a look at this today, there’s a bug in the object inspector in FB7 (and 8) that does not show the CompilerVersion property when multiple actions are selected. I have worked around this in FB8 by replacing the property with another one (different type) which does allow multi-select. There are some caveats though, you can only select multiple actions if they are at the same level in the actionlist tree. Also, changing the compiler version via the object inspector does not change the library path on the action.

I’m looking into a better solution for this.